I am running for the Wisconsin State Assembly in District 14, which includes the northern parts of Brookfield and Wauwatosa along with five wards of the City of Milwaukee. Our current state representative is not running for re-election in 2018. The residents of this district are ready for a new Assembly representative who will provide real, honest representation for our communities instead of working to promote the interests of large corporations and wealthy campaign contributors.
Wisconsin’s transportation funding crisis is symptomatic of the dysfunction that has reigned in Madison for the past several years. The problem is now so acute that Gov. Walker and Republican legislators, in the current budget, made it illegal for the DOT to finish the Zoo Interchange. Yes, you read that correctly. As reported in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, they “adopted a law that said for two years the DOT ‘may not provide funding from any source … for the north leg of the Zoo Interchange project between Swan Boulevard and Burleigh Street in Milwaukee County.’” I look forward to working with other legislators on long-term, sustainable funding solutions for transportation and infrastructure repair, but first we must break the current logjam and finish the highway projects that are already in progress, especially the Zoo Interchange. We are all tired of wasting time in traffic and taking one detour after another!
As your state representative:
- I will make sure that we #FinishTheZoo.
- I will stand up for our public schools and the teachers who work hard to educate our children. We must fully and equitably fund our communities’ public schools while restoring Gov. Tommy Thompson’s commitment that two-thirds of public school funding should come from the state.
- I will fight to strengthen our technical colleges and the University of Wisconsin system, which has always been one of our state’s greatest assets.
- I will support economic development that creates family-sustaining jobs with living wages.
- I will push back against the constant attacks on local control that have prevented our local elected officials from adequately funding our schools, parks, and transit systems.
As an engineer for nearly 30 years, I have worked with a wide variety of people across the country and around the world to solve complex problems. As your representative in Madison, I will work together with as many legislators (regardless of party) and community members as possible to solve Wisconsin’s problems and move our state forward.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or to share your ideas. I look forward to earning your vote for Wisconsin State Assembly on November 6, 2018.